Re: We don't really need two FTP daemons

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 12:39:42 +0200 (CEST)
Julian H. Stacey wrote:
 > Someone asked whether lukemftpd offered functionality other(s) don't ?
 > What about proxy ?

None of the ftpds offer proxy functionality.

 > I've never been sure which ftpd to run on my gateway (with IPFW, with no NAT)
 > to provide proxy, so internal hosts could cd /usr/ports; make fetch

Personally I use Squid, but any HTTP proxy should do (I've
also worked with Apache mod_proxy and "oops"; all of them
work fine as an FTP proxy).

Use these lines in /etc/make.conf (proxy on port 3128):

FETCH_ENV=      FTP_PROXY=http://your-proxy.your.domain:3128 \
                HTTP_PROXY=http://your-proxy.your.domain:3128

Regarding the packet filter rules (IPFW or whatever):
For the clients, you have to allow the TCP port on which
the proxy server listens, of course, and the proxy server
itself must be able to open FTP and HTTP connections to
the outside.  Note that some distfiles come from origin
servers via HTTP, so configuring FTP only isn't sufficient.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Life is short (You need Python)"
        -- Bruce Eckel, ANSI C++ Comitee member, author
           of "Thinking in C++" and "Thinking in Java"