Re: Problem compiling xorg-server{-snap} on recent -CURRENT

From: Michiel Boland <michiel_at_boland.org>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 20:28:38 +0200 (MEST)
>> My build of xorg-server died. The box ran out of swap space. I have
>> 512M RAM + 1G swap. Someone please tell me this is a glitch in the new
>> gcc. I don't want to add ram just to be able to compile a simple
>> program. :)
>
> The quick fix is to build at a lower optimization level.  Advanced
> optimizations can be very memory-consuming, especially when compiling
> unusually large source files, or source files which contain unusually
> large functions.

Ok, that appears to do the trick. Compile without any optimization at all.
But I wonder: what is the point of a huge object file with 10000 or so
symbols, of which I most likely will use only one or two? I thought the
whole point of the new xorg was the modularity. (I'm afraid I'm getting a
bit off-topic now, so I will quickly stop my ranting here. :)