Re: tinderbox and bad system call

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 15:16:17 -0400
On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 12:16:43PM +0200, Erwin Lansing wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 12:08:11PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smrgrav wrote:
> > Martin Wilke <miwi_at_FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > > i think that's a wrong way to say all users and maintainer you
> > > should update to current for correct building now. I'm not really
> > > willing to update my miwibox to current.
> >
> > So don't run CURRENT in your chroot.
> >
> > We (mostly) support running old userlands on new kernels, but we have
> > never supported running new userlands on old kernels.
> >
> Which is exactly what the ports tinderbox does, different userlands on a
> shared kernel.

Tinderboxes have always had to cope with this (in the past that mostly
just affected me).  Sometimes when a new CURRENT is forked you can get
away with running the previous version for a while longer because the
kernel ABI usually only diverges slowly.  Eventually there is always
an incompatible change and tinderbox machines must be upgraded to run
CURRENT.  This is just the price of progress.

As a bonus, you get to help with QA of FreeBSD-CURRENT, which you'll
be thankful for in the long run since you'll be using that branch
sooner or later no matter what you do.

Kris