Re: ZFS committed to the FreeBSD base.

From: Darren Reed <darrenr_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 04:44:29 +0000
On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 09:40:35AM -0700, Kip Macy wrote:
> >While I don't know of any hardware that is *only* 32bit and
> >sold by Sun, Solaris 10 runs on 32bit PCs and will do for the
> >foreseeable future as I'm sure a good part of the opensolaris
> >community would be upset if it were to be abandoned.
>
> Abandoned is the wrong word, but supported is definitely not the same
> as new development being targeted at.

I disagree with that completely.

You're obviously unaware of a lot of development that is going on inside
[Open]Solaris on the driver front.

But that aside, 32bit x86 is aging rapidly and within the next few years
will be just as legacy as your 486 is and in maybe 5-10 the same as 386.

So I wouldn't say that they have or are abandoned 32bit x86, rather that
there is just no future in it, so effort is scaled appropriately.  Even
in open source this rings true - NetBSD is getting close to removing
some of the more venerable platforms, not because they're abandoning them
but because for one reason or another it no longer makes sense.

Darren