Re: Proposed #ifdef change to em

From: Vladimir Ivanov <wawa_at_yandex-team.ru>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 03:00:22 +0300
Scott Long wrote:
> Jack Vogel wrote:
>> I have found that the FAST interrupt handling is  implicated
>> in the watchdog resets that I have seen.

It's not true. I have seen watchdogs much earlier then FASTINTR.
Also, please note: older driver had a bug preventing watchdog to be
reported (see http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/92895)

>> What I plan to do is revert to the way 6.2 had things, meaning
>> that FAST interrupts will be available but defined off by default.
>>
>> I wanted to know if anyone has an issue with this. And more
>> importantly, I have personally not seen this problem on 7, but
>> I could set up #ifdef's in that driver to be the same way.
>>
>> What does everyone think?

We've a lot of computers w/FASTINTR (more or less patched). They carry
huge traffic. But I don't remember when I have seen last watchdog.

E.g.:

pitman:~# sysctl dev.em.0.stats=1; dmesg  | tail -30
dev.em.0.stats: -1 -> -1
[skip]
em0: Excessive collisions = 0
em0: Sequence errors = 0
em0: Defer count = 0
em0: Missed Packets = 44614035
em0: Receive No Buffers = 5082415
em0: Receive Length Errors = 0
em0: Receive errors = 0
em0: Crc errors = 1
em0: Alignment errors = 0
em0: Carrier extension errors = 0
em0: RX overruns = 185231
em0: watchdog timeouts = 0
em0: XON Rcvd = 0
em0: XON Xmtd = 0
em0: XOFF Rcvd = 0
em0: XOFF Xmtd = 0
em0: Good Packets Rcvd = 918214961288
em0: Good Packets Xmtd = 933147667144
pitman:~# uptime
  2:54  up 247 days,  5:59, 1 user, load averages: 1,82 1,63 1,55

WBR,
Vladimir