Re: zfs stuck, cannot do any I/O, processes in Disk Wait

From: Adam McDougall <mcdouga9_at_egr.msu.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:17:32 -0400
On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 10:54:28AM +0100, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

  On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 10:43:56PM -0400, Adam McDougall wrote:
  > I think I have had this happen at least once before, but someone else
  > rebooted the system before I could see it.  I have a server with a
  > number of zfs filesystems mounted from a raidz, but it won't transfer
  > any data.  I'm not sure why its stuck.  It is running 7.0-PRERELEASE
  > Wed Oct 17 and I'm pretty sure it is WITHOUT vm_kern.c.2.patch.  The
  > system is amd64 and I have not seen a kmem panic since I raised kmem
  > to 1.5G.
  >
  > I logged in to scp a file off of zfs, was able to ls -l to see the file
  > but the scp hung before transferring any bytes.  Now I cannot do a ls -l
  > in that directory, /z.  I noticed several days worth of rsync processes
  > stuck in disk wait, it must have been in this state for several days.
  > I have no urgent need to reboot this system, its more important to try
  > to get a permanent fix.  Please let me know what other information I
  > can provide.

  I'm afraid you need to do some debugging on your own. I'd start from
  compiling INVARIANTS, INVARIANT_SUPPORT and WITNESS in. You may want to
  take a look at developers handbook to see how to obtain some
  informations from DDB.

Thank you, this is useful guidance for me and I will do so.

  pjd_at_FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org