Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Wiki for discussing P35/IHC9(R)/SATA issues set up

From: Aryeh M. Friedman <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 02:56:56 -0500

>> 1. (I will dig the refs up in a few mins) this has been reported on
>> multiple drives and ihc9  based controllers.  So it is *NOT* a HW
>> issue... see the wiki.
>>

> Versteh.  But *I* get grumpy when it is *so* easy to 'close the door
> firmly' by slapping in last-year's scrap IDE CD or a diferent SATA
> device, and *then* post with a great deal more certainty that those
> options produced this or that difference.  Or NOT.  Ergo the problem
> is more clearly ID'ed - or reconfirmed - each time.

It is my turn to be grumpy I think:

1. All the stuff I am working with was "brand-new" (at least as far the
retailer is concerned) as of Sept. 1 and all is SATA/300

2. In an other subthread I mentioned I finally got PATA/SATA working
(i.e. co-existing) but the other 2 items on the wiki (plus the yet to be
recorded acd one) are still in existence

3. The PATA/SATA issue was only fixed by a couple of new definitions in
ata.c thus should not be considered anything more then a custom patch
for my machine I think

> Surprises DO happen. Remember the CMD-640 ATA controller? Those folks
> call themselves SiliconImage nowadays, but it was the tier-one
> Japanese firm that 'foundered' the silicon.
>
>> 2. The only difference between different hardware is the implications of
>> sw issues... for example I get timeouts but no infinite cycle when
>> booting from cd
>>

> ACK - and developers of software very seldom have access to even the
> tiniest fraction of the hardware that the community at large have
> their hands on.

And that is why I volunteered to help out but it seems they prefer for
me to just send various diag dumps so neither of us has any grounds for
complaint here I think.

> On which score we ARE falling behind... Accelerating pace of 'new' is
> the nature of the market.

>From being around the industry since the late early 80's (I know you
have been around longer) I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Every 10 years or so there is a whole sell revolution in hw interfaces
2. The last one was Pentium, AGP, UDMA and PCI in the mid early 90's
3. The current one is PCI-E, 64bit, Multicore and SATA

Due to 3 I think if we get stuff right we are safe for a good 8 to 10 years.

--
Aryeh M. Friedman
Developer, not business, friendly