Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Wiki for discussing P35/IHC9(R)/SATA issues set up

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_ceid.upatras.gr>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 10:06:34 +0200
On 2007-11-06 02:56, "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 2. The only difference between different hardware is the
>>> implications of sw issues... for example I get timeouts but no
>>> infinite cycle when booting from cd
>>
>> ACK - and developers of software very seldom have access to even the
>> tiniest fraction of the hardware that the community at large have
>> their hands on.
>
> And that is why I volunteered to help out but it seems they prefer for
> me to just send various diag dumps so neither of us has any grounds
> for complaint here I think.

That's the way a lot of FreeBSD developers work.  It may look 'flawed'
and 'wrong', but there are probably a fair number of reasons why this is
their preferred 'mode of operation'.  For example, they may not have web
access at all times.  An email with a lot of useful information in the
form of a logfile is available when 'offline' too.  A wiki is not.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't use your favorite means of collecting
information from these threads (i.e. the wiki), but it is important to
realize that it's *not* easier or more useful than the mailing lists;
what is *can* be is another source of information, a complementary
resource :)