Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Wiki for discussing P35/IHC9(R)/SATA issues set up

From: Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 02:25:22 -0800
On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 05:06:56AM -0500, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

> > 1) Have you verified that the SATA150-limiting jumper on your Seagate
> >    drive has been removed?  SATA300 drives from Seagate come from the
> >    factory with that jumper connected, limiting the drive to SATA150.
> >

> Yes it does have a jumper but removing it doesn't change what the driver
> reports.

Leave the jumper *off*, otherwise it'll just waste people's time.  The
drive *will not* run in nor claim to support SATA300 with that jumper
enabled.  So please leave it off.  :-)

> > 2) Do you happen to be using a PATA-to-SATA adapter on the DVD drive?
> >
> > 3) If No to #2, are you sure that the ICH9 does SATA300 with ATAPI
> >    devices?  Does the mainboard BIOS even support it for ATAPI?
>
> It is an OEM drive so no way of knowing what it's real specs are but the
> packaging/manual says SATA300... I can not find any references in the
> manual or the intel specs that say anything about max atapi speed.

Can you try booting into Linux and see if it reports SATA300, or Windows
and get a utility ASTRA32 and see if it reports the same?