Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Wiki for discussing P35/IHC9(R)/SATA issues set up

From: Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 02:38:39 -0800
On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 02:35:07AM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > From what other people are saying I think it needs to be the p35/ihc9(r)
> > combo specifically.
>
> These two things are somewhat conflicting.
>
> 1) If the problem is fixed by Xi Lin's patch, then that seems to
>    indicate it should be affecting everyone using the ICH9 controller,
>    including those who use Asus, Abit, or MSI boards.
> 2) Boot manager as in the BIOS boot device menu, or as in FreeBSD BTX?
>    If BIOS boot device menu, then that doesn't mean anything.  The
>    BIOS could indeed be doing something wrong which FreeBSD expects
>    to be right.  Problems like this should ideally be brought to the
>    attention of the mainboard manufacturer.
> 3) The issue appears to be specific to the Gigabyte P35 board, which
>    to me means someone needs to get Gigabyte involved in all of this.

Correction to my mail -- the OP states his problem is with a MSI Neo-F
P35, not a Gigabyte board.  I'm not sure where I got Gigabyte from...

Someone may want to involve MSI in this ordeal.  Their generic technical
support team probably won't be of much assistance; we'd need to find
someone in Taiwan who is more familiar with the engineering side of
things.