Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Wiki for discussing P35/IHC9(R)/SATA issues set up

From: Sean C. Farley <scf_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 16:01:49 -0600 (CST)
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007, Søren Schmidt wrote:

> Sean C. Farley wrote:
>>
>> Some people are having issues with SATA/300 drives being report (or
>> utilized) at SATA/150.  I see that with my work computer.
>> Personally, the timeouts that result in errors are my main concern.
>> Here is a link[1] to my report.

*snip*

> On the ATAPI timeouts there not much to say, SATA ATAPI HW sucks jut
> as much as ATAPI HW did it seems, the only way is to try and get it
> working on as many as possible at the same time. That however means
> that someone (usually me, you wont belive the ATAPI drive collection
> I've got here already) needs to have all the drives available and time
> plus motivation and needed skills to poke around to get it working. At
> least all the controllers I have here in the lab and the two SATA
> ATAPI drives in same work flawlessly...
>
> Sad but true.

While my driver skills are beginner, I could try some things on my end.
The biggest problem is knowing where to start.  I downloaded the MMC as
well as the SATA v1.0a specs.  Everything looks good to the best of my
understanding on what you are sending to the drive, so I am at a loss of
what would cause the drives to get antsy and timeout.

Sean
--
scf_at_FreeBSD.org