Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Wiki for discussing P35/IHC9(R)/SATA issues set up

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_deepcore.dk>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 21:35:28 +0100
Sean C. Farley wrote:

> Some people are having issues with SATA/300 drives being report (or
> utilized) at SATA/150.  I see that with my work computer.  Personally,
> the timeouts that result in errors are my main concern.  Here is a
> link[1] to my report.
OK, the situation where drives are found at SATA150 while drive and
controller both support SATA300 can have lots of reasons.
If ATA states it has '300 support and the drive supports it as well
(note at least some early IBM/Hitachi drives was '300 but the firmware
set to '150 and needed a vendor supplied util to up it to '300) it
should work. However all kinds of interaction problems can make them
agree on the lower '150 speed, and ATA does not try to force anything
here, it just asks the drive/controller to connect at the highest speed
possible.
As long as I dont support portmulitpliers the speed is not really an
issue, no drive (so far) on this planet can outrun even the SATA150
interface.

On the ATAPI timeouts there not much to say, SATA ATAPI HW sucks jut as
much as ATAPI HW did it seems, the only way is to try and get it working
on as many as possible at the same time. That however means that someone
(usually me, you wont belive the ATAPI drive collection I've got here
already) needs to have all the drives available and time plus motivation
and needed skills to poke around to get it working. At least all the
controllers I have here in the lab and the two SATA ATAPI drives in same
work flawlessly...

Sad but true.

-Søren

> Thank you for looking into these issues.
NP! I  try to get things fixed, but time has been limited lately...

-Søren