Re: Remaining SATA (and other) issues

From: Alexander Sabourenkov <screwdriver_at_lxnt.info>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 13:14:34 +0300
Søren Schmidt wrote:
> You cant remove this, ATA uses the 0x54 reg to store interrupts, its a
> gen purpose reg on the promises, this initialization is neededed.

Hmm. Cursory greps do not show writes there neither in vendor, nor in
linux drivers.
I only found it in ata_piix.c from linux, as PIIX_IOCFG /* IDE I/O
configuration register */.

Thus I'm not sure it is really needed, but I leave that up to your
expertise.

> This part is wrong for older promise chips, as the port# is different.
> I also have a hard time seeing that this couldd change anything since
> the registers are reset etc "my way" on each interrupt.

If that means ata_promise_mio_intr(), then no, it does not touch 0x60
for PRSATA2, it touches 0x54 instead.

> Besides you *do not* want to pass the other bits through, they shoudl be
> masked off and always written as 0's.

Why then vendor does pass them through?

--

./lxnt