Re: ZFS -> samba directory quirk

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 10:30:49 +0000
Nathan Butcher wrote:
> I'm not sure if I'm the only one seeing this, but I have a ZFS-samba set
> up between my FreeBSD7-BETA2 test machine and a Windows XP box. The
> samba install is from ports and is the latest version (it is patched for
> zfs I believe).
>
> On occasion I will find that directory information sometimes goes funky
> when coming out on the Windows XP side. On one occasion, files that
> *should* have been in the directory didn't show up in Windows, and on
> one occasion, a filename for a particular file appeared *twice* (and
> deleting it deleted both instances!). A refresh of the directory in
> Windows seemed to fix this quirk temporarily.

You're sure this is FreeBSD/ZFS related? At my company, we use still a
Linux box running SAMBA and some customers do see the same behaviour.
Recently created files or directories do show up only after a refresh on
the windows box, so also deletions do. SAMBA on the Linux (Ubuntu) box
seems to be 3.24 or something, it is not the most recent version and I
suspected a caching/time problem.

Within the next days I'll come up with a new fileserver box running the
most recent FreeBSD 7.0 and the most recent SAMBA port with a ZFS
mirror, so I will report more FreeBSD related, if there is anything unusual.