Re: No libc shared lib number bump ?

From: Daniel Eischen <deischen_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 16:08:10 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> Quoting Daniel Eischen <deischen_at_freebsd.org> (Fri, 9 Nov 2007 14:05:48 -0500 (EST)):
>
>> On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Julian Elischer wrote:
>
>>> I'm pretty sure there will be future version bumps despite the assurances of
>>> the "symbol versioning cabal" that there won't be.
>>> So I think it should be left at 7 to allow that to happen in the future.
>
> I have the "never say never" mentality, so I can understand your
> opinion.
>
>> Well, there shouldn't be.  But even if there is, there is 0.0, 0.1,
>> etc.
>
> I thought such minor versions are ... "bad" ... at least in our ports
> we put a lot of effort to get rid of them back in the times when we
> switched from a.out to elf.

There is not such problem with how you name ELF libraries.
It could be non-numeric as well and nothing would care,
e.g, libc.so.foo.bar.  Well, except for applications or
tools that make assumptions about our library naming.  I
can't really see that being a problem since we always use
links from libfoo.so to libfoo.so.version-string.

--
DE