Re: who do I report this to?

From: 韓家標 Bill Hacker <askbill_at_conducive.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 08:20:31 +0000
Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

>> The first thing to do is to make sure it is not your ISP inflicting you
> with
>> some slowdown. Connect a second node to the re interface (put a switch
>> between you and the modem, and connect something else to it) and see
>> if your connection speed to that local machine is affected.
>> If not, then it is your isp that is the problem. Change ISPs to a
> legitimate
>> one.
>
> I guess you don't read -current it is a confirmed re(4) issue (plus
> some other things but the ISP has nothing to do with it)
>

> - --
> Aryeh M. Friedman

To be fair, Aryeh - your report was of a sort that indicated it could very well
have been an upstream issue. Torrents in particular are unpredictable critters,
and - given you've said you had only the one box - I don't see how/where you
could have emulated that 'locally'.

As to the re(4) 'issue' - we are scp'ing seriously large container files over
local switches internal to the rack, AND both carrier-grade and sod-awful
residential cable-modem links, csuping often, etc --- all  w/o *any* of the
reported 're' problems (so far).

7-CURRENT of September ISO, 7-BETA1 with the Realtek NIC, 6.2 with the BGE NIC
at one end, plus the odd fxp or rl NIC at 10/100 under 7-BETA1, &-BETA3,
8-CURRENT. We do not presently have hardware to do re to re.  Maybe next week.

Meanwhile - more accurate / detailed research & reporting, and a bit less
sarcasm would be useful.

Bill