Re: Is it possible to debug an AMD kernel on Intel

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:05:00 -0800
On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 10:32:13PM -0800, Kip Macy wrote:
> Also can we do what the rest of the world does and refer to it as
> x86_64 or 64-bit intel? Continuing to refer to it as amd (I know they
> came up with instruction set extensions but its now a fundamental part
> of the x86 ISA) only serves to confuse new users.

NO.  AMD pioneered this platform.  Without them we'd all be unhappily
headed towards IA64's.  It is Intel that has constantly chosen to confuse
its customers.  This is not a problem for The FreeBSD Project to fix.

Also why wouldn't calling it "64-bit Intel" confuse the Opteron users?
Or creation confusion that you run "64-bit Intel" on Itanium machines?

Why aren't folks confused that you should use FreeBSD/i386 on a Core2 Duo
(or an Opteron)?

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)