Re: Any successful installs on a Broadcom HT1000 chipset?

From: Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 06:37:20 -0800 (PST)

(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-November/079920.html)

> >> so its harder to

> If
> >>>
> >> you do have such a

> >> of sending the

> in
> >>>
> >> fixing the issue.
> >> That would be an excelent idea :)
> >>
> >> As usual I'll try to get any ATA/SATA HW that
> shows
> >> up on my doorstep
> >> working, thats the deal.
> >> I dont have the means nor the motivation to spend
> my
> >> own hard earned $$
> >> on all kinds of HW to get someone out there free
> >> support, simple as that..
> >>
> >> That said, I do have a HT1000 based board around
> >> supermicro H8SSL that
> >> is used as a busy local fileserver, needless to
> say
> >> it works flawlessly.
> >>
> >> So, to get this worked on and hopefully fixed,
> get
> >> me a failing board to
> >> work on here... private mail with address details
> >> etc can be had on
> >> request...
> >>
> >> -Søren
> >>

> > Is your busy file server running 7.0, and is it
> > running in SATA mode? The MBs we've tried are
> H8SSP-i
> > and an H8SSL-i, both with the same, unsuccessful
> > results: bad file reads, signals when trying to
> run
> > apps, crash-and-burn on buildworld wthin 5
> seconds.
> >
> This server has been running -current all the time
> with about biweekly
> updates, so it has made the transition all the way
> from about 6.1 to
> todays current without problems.
> > Something happened between 6.2 and 7.0, as we were
> > able to run 6.2 on these systems.
> >

> Looks like a pattern, something outside of ATA also
> caused HW issues on
> some Promise controllers to appear in this period.
> Just checked and nothing in ATA changed in regards
> to either the HT1000
> or the Promise HW, its the same support code thats
> been there all the time.
> It could be a sideeffect of now having more fine
> grained locking etc,
> that makes these problems show up, your guess is as
> good as mine.
>
> Again, the sticky point is that if I cant reproduce
> a problem here its
> very hard to work on it, if not just plain
> impossible...

A sticky point on this end is that it will cost more
to ship you a system than the cost of the product; you
being in Europe and the US dollar sucking in general.
I'm also not going to be able to get authorization to
ship overseas.

Could you send me the config file you're using on your
7.0 system with the H8SSL MB so I can give it a try
and see if its a config issue, or some device
conflict? You have the MB we're having trouble with,
so maybe we can learn enough to give you some ideas.I
have a system with an H8SSL-i that just plain doesn't
work with either SATA or IDE.

Barney

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs