Re: bypassing certain cvs commits

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:05:07 -0800
Scott Long wrote:
> Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
>>
>> Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
>>> Grab the diff and revert if by hand after CVSup?  May require some
>>> manual merging, but it will require merge in any case if later
>>> commits go to the top of the changes you want to revert.
>> I am using a local repo
>>

> Then use CVS to check out the exact rev of those files that you want.
> That'll make the rev be sticky in your tree, so it won't change the next
> time you update.  Note that I would consider it rather rude and
> condescending to instruct a senior developer like Jason on how to do
> backouts instead of giving him help in identifying and maybe fixing the
> problems.

and to check out the head MINUS a change use cvs update -j

e.g. to remove the change that was used to make 1.4 but leave the changes that
went into 1.5 and later you can do

cvs up -A x.c            # check out the latest.
cvs up -j1.4 -j1.3 x.c   #back out the change that differentiated 1.4 from 1.3