Re: 7.0-BETA3 kernel panic when unplugging USB stick

From: Ulrich Spoerlein <uspoerlein_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:15:03 +0100
On Tue, 27.11.2007 at 10:21:42 +0100, Matthias Schmidt wrote:
> * Remko Lodder wrote:
> > When the device is plugged in can you show us a pciconf -vl and perhaps
> > an excerpt from the dmesg? so that we might be able to add it to the
> > supported devicelist? (which might also resolve the problem, though that
> > would be a workaround imo since the machine should not panic because of
> > plugging in something and unplugging it, at least not when it's not
> > being used :-))
>
> Here is the message from dmesg and additionally /var/log/messages:
>
> umass0: <vendor 0x0420 product 0x1307, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 3>
> on uhub2
> Nov 27 10:01:22 node008 root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x0420 product
> 0x1307 bus uhub2

If that's all that is printed, please wait a couple of minutes. Most
probably the CAM layer is just trying to figure out what to do with the
umass0 device when you go yankin' it out.

I had this too, when the quirks are not right and you have to wait for
all the BBB timeouts to settle. Just let it sit there for half an hour
or so.

Cheers,
Ulrich Spoerlein
--
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt.