Re: various rants about 7-currnet on AMD64

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 15:13:57 +0200 (CEST)
Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
 > On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 03:30:59AM +0000, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
 > > * AMD64 should be recommended (or at least better documented) for all
 > > dual-core machines
 >
 > This argument is flawed, in my opinion.

Right.  I prefer to run i386 on the dual-core Athlon64 X2
that I got recently at the office.  (It's running well with
RELENG_6 and 7-current, BTW.)

 > I think a more appropriate phrase would be: "amd64 should be recommended
 > for anyone that uses 4GB of RAM or more, and doesn't want to be hit by
 > performance penalties induced by PAE on i386".

That's only half of the story ...  Additionally, amd64
should be recommended for anyone who requires 4 GB of
address space and more, irrespective of the amount of
RAM.  In particular, amd64 should be recommended if ZFS
is to be used.

Best regards
   Oliver

"I learned Java 3 years before Python.  It was my language of
choice.  It took me two weekends with Python before I was more
productive with it than with Java." -- Anthony Roberts