Re: various rants about 7-currnet on AMD64

From: Walter Vaughan <wvaughan_at_steelerubber.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 09:14:57 -0400
Aryeh Friedman wrote:

> I had tried PAE before the upgrade (see "what cpu type to use for a
> intel duo e6850 (i386 or amd64)" in -questions for detail)... I had
> also tried removing a DIMM... none resolved any issues.

In My Opinion, 4 Gig is EVIL for the x86 world. This is not a FreeBSD issue as
well. When I was breaking in an 8 core factory Intel box I saw same things you
saw. I then installed on it's redundant backup Ubunutu. Same problems. Double
the memory, FreeBSD way much happier, and Ubunutu happier as well.

Actually right now I am running FreeBSD AMD64-64, and Ubunutu AMD64 7.04 on the
other since they are in semi-production. Acutally we're running a vmplayer image
of Freebsd 6.2 i386 as a guest on the Ubuntu box as well.

Unless you have more than 4 gigs of memory, 64bit addressing is extra overhead,
so pulling memory just slows things down more.

So don't run more than 3 Gig if you want to run in 32 bit addressing mode.
    don't run less than 5 Gig if you want to run in 64 bit addressing mode.