Re: Intel G33 graphics chipset and Xorg 7.3

From: Eric Anholt <eric_at_anholt.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 09:00:43 -0700
On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 16:04 +0900, Nathan Butcher wrote:
> Just wanted to post a quick message to say that Xorg7.3 is now working
> again on my Gigabyte GA-G33-D3SR motherboard, but only when using the
> Xorg VESA driver.
>
> The latest Xorg 7.3 intel video driver actually supports the G33
> chipset, however the FreeBSD kernel isn't yet trained to recognise the
> G33, and instead labels the video as "VGA-compatible" in dmesg.
>
> As it stands, if Xorg is configured to use the intel driver with the
> G33, it crashes out because Xorg looks for an agpgart device for the
> chipset - which doesn't exist. "VGA-compatible" devices usually start
> life out as vgapci0, and since this is what CURRENT detects the G33 as,
> I can't make use of the Xorg intel driver G33 support.

Yes, agpgart support for G33 is required for X to work with better than
VESA.  I put a bit of code in for dealing with it (disabled by default),
but G33's stolen memory handling is a bit different, so it'll take some
debugging with the hardware to support it.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt_at_FreeBSD.org
eric_at_anholt.net                         eric.anholt_at_intel.com