Re: GJournal

From: Antony Mawer <fbsd-current_at_mawer.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 11:01:37 +1000
On 4/10/2007 8:43 AM, LI Xin wrote:
> Philip Murray wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got a 3TB volume that I really really want to avoid fscks on
>> (they're taking 4-5hours on an exist 1.5TB volume) so Gjournal is
>> looking good.
>>
>> Is it possible to make it only journal meta-data? Instead of data and
>> meta-data (ie, like XFS, ext3 by default etc), it seems like you'd take
>> less of a performance hit due to not having to write all the data twice.
>
> Not now.  gjournal now acts as a block-level journal provider which does
> not distinguish between meta-data and file data.

Has anyone heard any more information on "BLUFFS" - the "BSD Logging
Updated Fast File System" that was mentioned at the May 2007 Developer
Summit? The only information I have been able to find is the PDF slides
from the presentation, which are here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~ups/pubs/asiabsdcon2007/asiabsdcon_slides_2007.pdf

The last slide states the anticipated testing date as Q1, slipped to
Q2... we are now in Q4 and the only thing I can find on BLUFFS is said
PDF above.

I do hold out hope for a proper journalled FS for FreeBSD, as while ZFS
is brilliant in many regards, it is very memory-heavy and as such not
suitable for all applications... at the same time, UFS is reaching the
stage where larger filesystems take hours or even days to fsck, or
sometimes fail altogether from lack of memory. While gjournal does
provide a partial solution, the penalty from having to write the data
out to disk twice is a limitation...

--Antony