Re: GJournal

From: LI Xin <delphij_at_delphij.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 15:43:41 -0700
Philip Murray wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a 3TB volume that I really really want to avoid fscks on
> (they're taking 4-5hours on an exist 1.5TB volume) so Gjournal is
> looking good.
>
> Is it possible to make it only journal meta-data? Instead of data and
> meta-data (ie, like XFS, ext3 by default etc), it seems like you'd take
> less of a performance hit due to not having to write all the data twice.

Not now.  gjournal now acts as a block-level journal provider which does
not distinguish between meta-data and file data.

> But I understand in this case after a crash you could end up with empty
> files? (Due to the metadata being consistent but the data not? I've seen
> this happen with XFS before...)
>
> (I have tried ZFS, but just had two kmem too small panics after 5
> minutes... this is on an amd64 machine with 8GB of RAM)

Have you tried the recent -CURRENT snapshot and perhaps VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX
tuning?  It would make the situation much better.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij_at_delphij.net>	http://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!