Re: viral license free fork of freebsd

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 19:41:08 -0700
> It's not clear this is comprehensive, but it may still be useful in
> discussing replacing GPL'd components with non-GPL'd ones:
>
>   http://wiki.freebsd.org/ContribSoftware

Should we add a column indicating possible alternatives?

For example, I'm working on a new cpio now, Kai Wang is working
on binutils, and I'm sure there are other projects in the
works.

I agree with other folks who have picked out GNU readline
as probably the most troublesome.  The other GPL-licensed
tools are generally separate applications that could be
fairly easily dropped from any particular application
(embedded applications probably don't need to distribute
gdb or gcc, for instance).

Tim