Re: Installing a system onto ZFS

From: Dmitry Morozovsky <marck_at_rinet.ru>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 13:00:17 +0400 (MSD)
On Sat, 6 Oct 2007, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

AM> Yesterday I tried to install (using the August 2007 snapshot iso) a new
AM> FreeBSD system using ZFS. This is what I did:
AM>
AM> * boot from CD
AM> * type "load ZFS" on the boot loader prompt (could this be made default for
AM> FreeBSD 7 release?)
AM> * drop into the live CD shell and use fdisk, disklabel and zfs to create the
AM> appropriate partitions (/boot which is UFS2 and /usr /tmp /var / which are
AM> ZFS). ZFS volumes are created inside ad4s1d.
AM>
AM> A problem is then that the installer tries to mount the partitions and
AM> presumably knows nothing about the ZFS partitions I mounted within the live
AM> CD shell. Is there a way to do this, or am I expecting too much of the
AM> installer tool at this early stage of ZFS in FreeBSD?
AM>
AM> It appears that the only alternative is to install a full system onto UFS2
AM> partitions, install a second disk with ZFS volumes, copy across the data and
AM> set up the boot loader on the second drive, then discard the first drive. Is
AM> that what others are doing?

you can run install.sh from distribution directories (actually, base and kernel
are the only required). As far as I remember sysinstall never could install on
an already mounted file systems set.

Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:				     marck_at_FreeBSD.org ]
*** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- marck_at_rinet.ru ***