Re: ZFS kmem_map too small.

From: Joao Barros <joao.barros_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 02:04:03 +0100
On 10/5/07, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> We'are about to branch RELENG_7 and I'd like to start discussion with
> folks that experience 'kmem_map too small' panic with the latest HEAD.
>
> I'm trying hard to reproduce it and I can't, so I need to gather more
> info how you are able to provoke this panic.
>
> What I did was to rsync 200 FreeBSD src trees from one directory to
> another on the same ZFS file system. It worked fine.
>
> The system I'm using is i386 and the only tuning I did is bigger
> kmem_map. From my /boot/loader.conf:
>
> vm.kmem_size=629145600
> vm.kmem_size_max=629145600
>
> The machine is dual core Pentium D 3GHz with 1GB of RAM. My pool is:
>
> lcf:root:/tank/0# zpool status
>   pool: tank
>  state: ONLINE
>  scrub: none requested
> config:
>
>         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>         tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
>           ad4       ONLINE       0     0     0
>           ad5       ONLINE       0     0     0
>           ad6       ONLINE       0     0     0
>           ad7       ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: No known data errors
>
> If you can still see those panic, please let me know as soon as possible
> and try to describe what your workload looks like, how to reproduce it,
> etc. I'd really like ZFS to be rock-stable for 7.0 even on i386.

i386 with 1GB here. I used to get this when chown'ing some thousand
files recursively via ssh.
Last time I got this was unraring 2GB files from n x 95MB rars via NFS.

My system:

xeon# zpool status
  pool: r4x320
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        r4x320      ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad0s1d  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad1s1d  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad4     ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad6     ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

xeon# cat /boot/loader.conf
zfs_load="YES"
vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:r4x320"
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=1 (I have this to improve video play)

xeon# sysctl vm | grep kmem
vm.kmem_size_scale: 3
vm.kmem_size_max: 335544320
vm.kmem_size_min: 0
vm.kmem_size: 335544320

xeon# sysctl -a | grep vnodes
kern.maxvnodes: 52242
kern.minvnodes: 17414
vfs.freevnodes: 7797
vfs.wantfreevnodes: 17414
vfs.numvnodes: 8230

I usually set kern.maxvnodes to 50000 manually and everything is ok
but I see that I forgot to on my last reboot and haven't seen any
problems yet:
xeon# uptime
 1:56AM  up 4 days, 15:06

off-topic: it's lovely not having to have your 874GB fs with millions
of files checked after a crash or power failure :-D

--
Joao Barros