Re: ULE/yielding patch for testing.

From: Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_chesapeake.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 01:35:50 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 7 Oct 2007, Jeff Roberson wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Oct 2007, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 11:10:21AM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>>>
>>>    Your problem is most likely Flash/Javascript based (I'm basing my
>>> theory on the fact that there's a lot of Ajax related stuff on the site).
>>>
>>>    No matter what OS you have, if a website's slow (and it's not
>>> because you don't have OpenGL support in your X-server), slowness will
>>> remain constant. It's just the way unfortunately that browsers are
>>> designed.
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Not really when the slowness does not exist with 6.X.
>
> I have experienced certain websites causing firefox to slow down
> considerably.  When I mouse over firefox the mouse begins to jerk as well but
> when I move back away from firefox it seems fine again.  I suspected it was
> an x/firefox bug.

Actually I double-checked this case with dailytech.com.  It seems to be
spending all of the cpu time in user-space in xwindows.  So it seems that
it is the new xwindows that has the problem.  If you watch the 'TIME'
field of top you can see that very little cpu time is attributed to
firefox and quite a lot to X windows.  So the windowing system is too busy
to redraw mouse events even if we are scheduling it well.

Jeff