Re: cosmetics: bsdlabel fstype for ZFS partitions?

From: Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 10:02:03 -0700
On Oct 8, 2007, at 9:42 AM, Craig Boston wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 09:38:25PM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>> I currently use "unused" here for the partition of the ZFS pool and
>> everything works just fine, of coure. But it looks a little bit
>> strange
>> to me and this small cosmetic issue should be fixed IMHO.
>
> I tend to abuse 'vinum' for this, and I suspect many use 4.2BSD
> just out
> of paranoia of 'unused' being accidentally overwritten.
>
> I also have ZFS on a few GPT-labeled disks and had a hard time
> deciding
> what GUID to use.  I couldn't find a good reference for what Sun uses
> for ZFS disks, so I ended up making up a bogus one under FreeBSD's
> range.
>
> 516e7cba-6ecf-11d6-8ff8-00022d09712b

This is technically speaking not a good idea because the UUID may
be in use already. In this case, given that the MAC address is in
one of my machines, it can only be a UUID I can possibly generate
(legally) and I can tell you that the UUID is not in use :-)

If no-one has created their own UUID for ZFS, I'll re-use Craig's
one so that he doesn't have to change his GPT. Any objections for
using Craig's synthesized UUID for ZFS file systems?

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt_at_mac.com