Re: panic on boot

From: Erik Trulsson <ertr1013_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:02:19 +0200
On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 10:42:06AM -0300, Alexandre Biancalana wrote:
> On 10/10/07, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > You realize that you can simply 'tar xf' an ISO image, instead of
> > > jumping through hoops with mdconfig?
> >
> > Most FreeBSD users I know of (junior and senior) do not know about
> > libarchive(3), nor what's linked to it (tar).  Heck, even *I* didn't
> > know it had ISO9660 and ZIP support until I read the manpage; I thought
> > it was limited to tar, pax, and cpio archives.
>
> One more... I doesn't know too !!
>
> Question:
>
>  If "our" tar can handle .zip file why unzip is installed via ports to
> decompress some .zip files ???

Keep in mind that "our" tar was only included with FreeBSD from FreeBSD 5.3
and onwards.  Support for .zip files was added for FreeBSD 5.4.
For older releases of FreeBSD it is necessary to install unzip.

It is probably also the case that several of the people working on the ports
tree also hadn't noticed that tar had grown support for .zip files.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson