Re: Are SATA port multipliers supported in -CURRENT?

From: Barry Pederson <bp_at_barryp.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:18:05 -0500
Martin Nilsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have you looked at the Supermicro CSE-836E1 chassis?
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/3U/836/SC836E1-R800V.cfm
>
> It is also 3U but have space for 16 drives redundant power and the
> computer! The port expander works with the LSI MegaRAID SAS8308ELP board
> and SAS/SATA drives in FreeBSD. There is also a cheaper model available
> with 16 normal SATA connectors if you prefer that.

I've been pondering this chassis too, and have been wondering how the
FreeBSD mpt driver would react to the builtin SAS expander.  I've been
using SAS3041E-R cards (cheaper than the MegaRAIDs) with drives plugged
straight into them very happily.  Would that same 4-port card plugged
into a that chassis' expander simply see 16 sata drives as da0..da15?

It looks like these chassis actually have 28-port expanders, with 4
ports going in, 16 ports for drives, and 2 4-port groups for
daisy-chaining other chassis.  Any idea if another connected chassis
full of drives would just show up as da16..da31 and so on?

	Barry