Re: suggest renaming and extending the -CURRENT and -STABLE lines

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:29:12 +0200
Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Christian Baer <christian.baer_at_uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>> If someone sees the result of RELENG_6 is called STABLE, he or she will
>> problably think, this is the line where bug fixes are added, security
>> problems fixed and the whole thing is meant for production systems. While
>> the first two things may be true, I would not suggest RELENG_6 for
>> production systems. Normally the -STABLE line works fine. But I *have*
>> times in the past where a driver was changes and suddenly the system
>> *didn't* work after a reboot or showed strange behaviour.
>
> YMMV.  I run both CURRENT and STABLE on production systems.

And we'll find many other people on this newsgroup who do the same, but
not everyone's a kernel hacker, or even a decent programmer, so it's
kind of insignificant.

This will probably degenerate into a bikeshed so I'll add just one
suggestion: rename "-STABLE" to "-ABISTABLE" or "-STABLEABI" and carry
on as usual. :)