Re: New-bus unit wiring via hints..

From: Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 14:59:23 -0700
On Oct 11, 2007, at 2:41 PM, John Baldwin wrote:

> 2) One of the things this fixes that is visible to users is that if
> your
>    machine gets the COM ports backwards when using ACPI it should
> now get
>    them correct (COM1 as sio0) assuming your COM ports use the
> default hints
>    and you have the default sio hints in your /boot/device.hints file.

I think you just pointed out the problem of using hints to wire
down unit numbers, because hints will stop hinting and will start
dictating. If I swap the serial ports in the BIOS then surely
my hints will be wrong and ACPI will be right. A default hints
file will be even more disastrous than before.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt_at_mac.com