Re: [Fwd: gkrellmwireless-2.0.2_7 failed on amd64 7]

From: Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 00:47:47 +0900
Hi,

sam> Szilveszter Adam wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 09:56:00AM +0200, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
>
>> Hey list,
>>
>> a bunch of ports broke on recent CURRENT, similar to the log below.
>> Who's responsible for this change - who should I nag to fix the ports?
>>

> The commit that caused this is
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-all/2007-July/226628.html
>
> by thompsa.
>
> The log says that the ioctls that used to be used by wicontrol were
> removed. It seems that several applications relied on this interface
> (even in the case of non-wi cards/chips) probably because this used to
> be one of the first such interfaces on FreeBSD and then just continued
> working (TM).  Unfortunately some ๖of the affected apps are esentially
> abandoned (eg wmwifi) so I have no idea if the port maintainer can fix
> them alone. But it would be nice, because now it is really hard to find
> any wlan signal monitoring apps for FreeBSD apart from Gnome/KDE applets.

sam> The old wi ioctl's have been deprecated for a very long time.  There are
sam> replacements that should be used instead.  The easiest thing to do is
sam> crib code from ifconfig.

The gkrellmwireless2 port has a code to support new ioctls, already.
So, just stop treating wi as special should be okay.
Please replace files/patch-ume-scan with the attached patch and try
it.
The patch is compilable on CURRENT.  However, I cannot test it,
actually.

Sincerely,

--
Hajimu UMEMOTO _at_ Internet Mutual Aid Society Yokohama, Japan
ume_at_mahoroba.org  ume_at_{,jp.}FreeBSD.org