Re: SCHED_4BSD in RELENG_7 disturbs workflow

From: [LoN]Kamikaze <LoN_Kamikaze_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:29:13 +0200
Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Jeff Roberson wrote:

>>> Not to say that any problems that might have developed with
>>> SCHED_4BSD should not be fixed, but you should give SCHED_ULE a try
>>> since it brings benefits even for single CPU systems (e.g. better
>>> interactive response).
>>
>> It would indeed be good to know if ULE improves things for you.
>> However, there have been a number of other reports about non-scheduler
>> related regressions with x windows on 7.0.  I run 7.0 on a UP laptop
>> without difficulty.  I wonder if it has something to do with a
>> particular device or driver.
>
> Or xorg 7.3 vs 7.2, if this was an older 6.x install.
>
> Kris

I was on Xorg 7.3 before I switched to RELENG_7.

Now, my problems have been solved, thanks to all your suggestions. It turned
out that I actually had 2 problems, which only appeared to be one.

The first one was the scheduler. ULE feels much better to me, the system
responds fine now.

The other problem was the strange occurance that X froze when the mouse was
not in movement on one of my machines. The solution was to rebuild
x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse . Now everything seems to run fine.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and suggestions. My next project will be
to build my kernel with debugging and produce decent traces for my ipw panics.