Re: Broken su in current - trying to fix myself, help needed!

From: 韓家標 Bill Hacker <askbill_at_conducive.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 07:43:03 -0400
Stefan Lambrev wrote:
> Hi,

*snip*

>> I will not be surprised if it occurs when building as an 'ordinary
>> user' and does NOT occur when building as root....
>>
>> BNL (BSD's Not Linux)....
>>

> I see something similar on all ports that have OPTIONS (make config).
> Here is example (do this as user member of wheel, but not root):

Stop right there. '..NOT root'??

Why would I DO that?

I'd *expect* a port to have problems if not invoked as EUID 'root'

ls -lF /usr/ports/<category>/<specific port>

Owner of the entire tree is 'root' with rwx and rw-.

Group and 'others' do not have 'w' privs, only 'r--'.

Note a 'make' cycle creates a ~/work/<portname> within that tree.
When invoked as root. Cannot do so otherwise.

HTH do you expect to write the results output by ./configure to a dirtree you do
not have the privilege to write to *at all*?

pkg_add and pkgsrc work a bit diferently w/r their workspace, but these, too can
be expected to encounter problems if invoked by other than 'root'.

If nothing else breaks first, they can neither install to the various ~/lib,
~/libexec, ~/bin, ~/sbin or even ~/etc dirtrees, nor update /var/db/pkg.

Read ls -lF on those critters, and you'll see why.

IF/AS/WHEN you want to take an advance look at what *would* transpire in a build
  w/o doing it as 'root', you need to open the tarball(s) elsewhere, where your
current EUID *does* have rwx privs.

I mkdir (and own) /usr/local/src/ for that purpose.

As good a name as any

..but BSD's (still) Not Linux

Bill