Re: Broken su in current - trying to fix myself, help needed!

From: Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev_at_moneybookers.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:04:52 +0300
Hi Bill,

韓家標 Bill Hacker wrote:
> Stefan Lambrev wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
> *snip*
>
>>> I will not be surprised if it occurs when building as an 'ordinary
>>> user' and does NOT occur when building as root....
>>>
>>> BNL (BSD's Not Linux)....
>>>

>> I see something similar on all ports that have OPTIONS (make config).
>> Here is example (do this as user member of wheel, but not root):
>>

> Stop right there. '..NOT root'??
>
> Why would I DO that?
You can do this by mistake for example. When you have 10 terminals
sometimes you did not pay enough attention are you root or not
Also you may want only to "read" what is the last configuration of a
port using: make config (not configure!)
and for this you do not have to be root( see permitions of /var/db/ports/)
Also it's a nice feature in FreeBSD ports, so I really do not know why
not to use it, as it's a feature, but not a bug.

Anyway why or why not does not matter.
The only think that matter is that doing this trigger the bug in "su".
Bug that does not exist in 6.2-STABLE or before, and normally bugs are
exploited by users that are not root.

P.S. /usr/ports/Mk/ look for SU_CMD :)

--

Best Wishes,