Re: twa driver needs updating

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:02:17 -0600
ECEG / Daniel Duerr wrote:
> Thank you for redirecting my message.  I've been keeping these machines
> updated on RELENG_6_2 because I have a couple pre-compiled hardware
> drivers I must use which I do not have kernel source for.  I just did a
> csup/buildkernel last week on the latest p8 source tree and tested the
> included twa driver and it was not up to date.  Would it be possible to
> get the twa driver pushed back into  RELENG_6_2?

There are plans to get the new device support pushed back to RELENG_6 in
time for the 6.3 release.  I know that's not the best answer for you at
this moment.  What is really, truly needed here is a "driver update
disk" setup for the installer that allows you to load vendor-supplied
drivers at install time and have those drivers integrated into the
installed system.  Sysinstall has a clunky feature that kinda sorta
satisfies the first requirement, but completely falls down on the second
requirement, making it completely useless.  If anyone is serious about
sitting down and making such a feature happen, let me know.  It would be
an incredibly positive step towards better vendor support.  I'd like to
be involved because I've been in the vendor role in the past with
supporting linux, and I'd like to make sure that the linux mistakes
aren't repeated.

Scott