Re: which version to install for next 2-3 years?

From: 韓家標 Bill Hacker <askbill_at_conducive.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 14:36:11 -0400
syle ishere wrote:
> I have a coloed box, OS on their now is ancient redhat 9.0, was thinking
> about new SMP support and mysql speed advancements in 7.0. I'd just hate
> to install 6.2 on it right now and thats way it stays for next 2-3 years
> if 7.0 is stable enough to use right now. I threw away freebsd boxes on
> 4.x branches because of SMP issues of it only using 1 processor for
> mysql etc, but I see alot has changed again. Server is a dell 2650, 8
> gigs of ram, dual 3.2ghz xeon cpu's, 6 scsi drives. I use this box
> mainly for apache/php, mysql, qmail,bind, perl and asterisk c
> development time to time.
>
> If I download latest snapshot, cvsup latest 7release and just make world
> etc on it, would it be alright? I see the new scheduler for 7.0 had some
> nice benchmarks for mysql.
>
> Dan.

YMMV - you'll have to test with your mix of apps under your level and type of
load. As always...

I wouldn't discount 6.X, either - it has been rock-solid on a pair of Core D
dual core, Tyan MB, AMD-64 and on a Xeon, HP MB as i386 since well before going
'gold'.

With the newer Core-2 Quad-core, we expect to bite the bullet and go into
production this week with 7-BETA1, if only 'coz there is so much new silicon in
the channel that 7 already handles well and 6.X simply predated.

Roast Penguin for Thanksgiving dinner should also save the cost of the other
kind of turkey...

We'll lift a glass to a very hardworking team of coders...

Thanks folks!

Bill Hacker