Re: Installing a system onto ZFS

From: Aristedes Maniatis <ari_at_ish.com.au>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:33:57 +1000
On 06/10/2007, at 5:26 PM, Stefan Esser wrote:

> What I do is install a minimal system into the UFS root (ad4s1a or
> whatever, to become the boot partition). Then I create the ZFS
> volumes from within, mounted on a temporary mount-point and copy
> over the whole contents of the minimum installation.
[snip... lot's more helpful instructions about getting ZFS working
from sysinstall]

We took your instructions, refined them a little, and assembled this
page:

http://www.ish.com.au/solutions/articles/freebsdzfs

Hopefully they will help people who want to get FreeBSD 7 installed
and running under ZFS. It really isn't hard once you get your head
around the /boot /bootdir thing. Please let me know if there is
anything that can be improved, and if any part of this is useful to
go into the FreeBSD docs I'd be happy for it to be of use.

Thanks again for your help,

Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001