Re: 7.0-BETA1 Available, 6.3-BETA1 coming soon...

From: Ken Smith <kensmith_at_cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:13:27 -0400
On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 19:59 +1000, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> On 23/10/2007, at 12:21 PM, Ken Smith wrote:
>
> > We have entered the final phases of the FreeBSD-7.0 Release cycle
> > which
> > also means the beginning of the FreeBSD-6.3 Release cycle.
>

> Naturally this is putting considerable load on the main cvsup server
> at the moment and it isn't easy to get access to cvsup.freebsd.org.
> However some weeks ago I reported a problem where the Australian
> mirror was returning incorrect files, so I don't really trust the
> mirroring system at the moment.

Hmm.  No offense intended but there should have been no impact at all on
the main cvsup server.  We branched RELENG_7 a while ago and that
probably stressed it for a day or so but the release builds and
distribution don't really have an impact on the cvsup server
infrastructure..

> Is there some safety in using the primary mirrors cvsup[0-9]
> +.freebsd.org? Which ones can be 100% relied upon to be up to date?
> Is there some way of verifying that a particular server is up to date
> and reliable?

Typically problems with the top-level mirrors get reported and fixed
pretty quick so they should be reliable.

> Is there a more appropriate infrastructure mailing list to raise this
> issue on?

Ruslan gave one option.  Another is the freebsd-hubs mailing list which
is where most of the mirror administrators (both cvsup and ftp) hang
out.  That said I'll see if I can find out what's up with the Australian
mirror.

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith_at_cse.buffalo.edu