Re: 7.0-BETA1 Available, 6.3-BETA1 coming soon...

From: Bernd Walter <ticso_at_cicely12.cicely.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:15:56 +0200
On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 07:59:08PM +1000, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> On 23/10/2007, at 12:21 PM, Ken Smith wrote:
>
> >We have entered the final phases of the FreeBSD-7.0 Release cycle
> >which
> >also means the beginning of the FreeBSD-6.3 Release cycle.
>

> Naturally this is putting considerable load on the main cvsup server
> at the moment and it isn't easy to get access to cvsup.freebsd.org.
> However some weeks ago I reported a problem where the Australian
> mirror was returning incorrect files, so I don't really trust the
> mirroring system at the moment.
>
> Is there some safety in using the primary mirrors cvsup[0-9]
> +.freebsd.org? Which ones can be 100% relied upon to be up to date?
> Is there some way of verifying that a particular server is up to date
> and reliable?

There is no structural difference between cvsup.* and cvsup[0-9].*.
They all mirror from cvsup-master more or less often.
Some mirror from local non public cvsup-master mirrors, but this
doesn't add more risk to the reliability, since they are used so
often that a failure of one of them gets noticed and repaired quite
fast.
It seems that this is a local problem with australian FreeBSD group
not keeping that much care about their local mirrors.
We have had some major failures and non reachable admins in germany as
well, but after some resonable timeout the domain admins just took
the required steps to take them out of public access.

> Is there a more appropriate infrastructure mailing list to raise this
> issue on?

Normaly cvsup admins should read hubs_at_freebsd.org.
As Ruslan pointed out there is also the admin list documented.
If everything fails you can also ask domain athoritives, which is
dawes at xfree86.org according to SOA record of au.freebsd.org.

--
B.Walter                http://www.bwct.de      http://www.fizon.de
bernd_at_bwct.de           info_at_bwct.de            support_at_fizon.de