Re: HP Proliant system freezes when bge NIC is used

From: Cristian KLEIN <cristi_at_net.utcluj.ro>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 00:28:34 +0300
Anders Nordby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using FreeBSD/amd64 7.0-BETA1 on a HP Proliant DL 380 G4 system, it freezes
> totally once the NIC is used, hanging at the time of setting the
> hostname upon boot. If I set hw.bge.allow_asf="0" in loader.conf, it
> works fine. What can I do to help debug this problem?

I am experiencing the same thing with an Intel eSeries 335. When I type
"ifconfig bge0 up" the system hangs. No DDB, no panic, no nothing. Setting
hw.bge.allow_asf="0" in loader.conf does not solve the problem.

I also observat that the switch initially negotiates 100Mbps. After typing
"ifconfig bge0 up" the switch negotiates 1Gbps, although the system is frozen.