Re: Need motherboard for home fileserver

From: Mark Powell <M.S.Powell_at_salford.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:35:04 +0100 (BST)
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Karel Rous wrote:

> I think overclocking shoudn't be understood as a feature you pay for.

Yeah. It's a bonus right?
   Some of these budget end cpus are clearly underclocked by the
manufacturer so that they simply have products which satisify ever price
bracket they consider there is a market for. In fact they are often the
same silicon. They re-label, lower their price, cutting into the profit,
but hope to sell more of them.
   This is not always the case as the lower end stuff can often be silicon
which failed a higher speed test or has a non-functional part e.g. some
cache was faulty. However, it still remains true that the practice is in
existence. You just need to do enough reading to be aware of which models
it is happening on.

> It's mainly a matter of luck.

Everything is a matter of luck. You can reduce how much you depend on luck
by doing some research. Isn't that what is performed when any hardware
selection is made?

> Reliability (probability of crash) and lifetime of such machines could
> be worse.

Could be no worse too :)
   NB I suggested this only in the context of a home server, where the
financing is coming solely from one individual's pocket. I would not
recommend any of this for a production server e.g. I wouldn't have
recommended that motherboard in the production case, etc.
   Cheers.

--
Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Information Services Division, Clifford Whitworth Building,