Re: Need motherboard for home fileserver

From: Karel Rous <admin_at_gyrec.cz>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:23:23 +0200
Mark Powell wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
>
> Intel CPU Pentium DualCore E2140
>
> They are similar price to the cheapest AMD and are really just a
> Core2Duo with just 1MB cache and offical 800MHz FSB. However, they are
> the same silicon as C2D. As such these run easily at ~3GHz with
> 350-400MHz FSB all with no voltage increases, if you're into such things.
>   It's a shame AMD have fallen behind Intel. Corporate crime does pay
> it seems :(
    Personally I don't see any evidence about this statement in low
price solution. I use AMD for a long time and it has never as
overclockable as Intel. The first one I have found is A64 3000 which I
bought two weeks ago...

>> Though Core 2 Duo CPUs are more expensive,
>
> See above. Possibly not as low power as an AMD solution, but a lot
> more for your money, me thinks.
    I think overclocking shoudn't be understood as a feature you pay
for. It's mainly a matter of luck. Reliability (probability of crash)
and lifetime of such machines could be worse.

Karel