Re: Installer DHCP in Virtual Box doesn't work

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:35:52 +0200
Jochen Haemmerle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just tried to install the FBSD7 Beta1 on my VirtualBox (version
> 1.5.2) using the boot-only-image. During the install process the installer
> wasn't able to get an IP via DHCP. However this works with 6.2 and 6.1
> boot-only-images.
>
> Is this a problem of VirtualBox or is it an Installer problem.

Most likely VirtualBox. In contrast to VMWare, it doesn't have special
support for fancy networking options (i.e. vmware automatic bridging),
but it creates an ordinary tap device which you have to bridge by
yourself to your physical NIC so it can talk to the outside world. Have
you done that?

Apart from that, does VirtualBox work for you? I tried it a few days ago
and found it cannot survive an ordinary buildworld because something's
apparently messed up with context switches & signal delivery.