Re: Installer DHCP in Virtual Box doesn't work

From: Jochen Haemmerle <mail_at_jhaemmerle.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:11:42 +0200 (CEST)
>> I've just tried to install the FBSD7 Beta1 on my VirtualBox (version
>> 1.5.2) using the boot-only-image. During the install process the
>> installer
>> wasn't able to get an IP via DHCP. However this works with 6.2 and 6.1
>> boot-only-images.
>>
>> Is this a problem of VirtualBox or is it an Installer problem.
>
> Most likely VirtualBox. In contrast to VMWare, it doesn't have special
> support for fancy networking options (i.e. vmware automatic bridging),
> but it creates an ordinary tap device which you have to bridge by
> yourself to your physical NIC so it can talk to the outside world. Have
> you done that?

No, I actually intended to use the NAT options of VirtualBox, which offers
DHCP functionality to the host system.(has worked so far)

> Apart from that, does VirtualBox work for you? I tried it a few days ago
> and found it cannot survive an ordinary buildworld because something's
> apparently messed up with context switches & signal delivery.

Yepp, discovered the same problem with 6.2 and 6-stable. However I didn't
run into these problems with 6.1. I've got to admit that I didn't do that
much testing with 6.1. (buildworld worked a couple of times)

The actual intention of the current installation is to see if this still
occures with VBox 1.5.2 and the 7.0 Beta

Cheers
Jochen