Re: Installer DHCP in Virtual Box doesn't work

From: Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev_at_moneybookers.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:48:57 +0300
Hi,

Jochen Haemmerle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just tried to install the FBSD7 Beta1 on my VirtualBox (version
> 1.5.2) using the boot-only-image. During the install process the installer
> wasn't able to get an IP via DHCP. However this works with 6.2 and 6.1
> boot-only-images.
>
> Is this a problem of VirtualBox or is it an Installer problem.

If I remember right I hit few times similar problem. On real machine not
emulation.
If you try to install FreeBSD 7.snapshot and select for media that
require network (ftp/http/nfs)
then you are unable to configure your network (ifconfig shows that
everything should be OK, but actually
the machine does not even respond to ping)

The only way to do the installation was first to configure network and
then everything else e.g.
 From sysinstall (main menu) -> configure -> networking -> interfaces ->
iface
and just then (main menu) -> custom -> media -> FTP

I think I hit this bug with fbsd7-i386-boot-only CD, but If I have time
will check can I reproduce it with BETA1 disk1 :)

If this is your case, try first to setup network and then go to the
install procedure :)