Re: [simon_at_FreeBSD.org: cvs commit: src/crypto/openssl/ssl ?d1_both.c ?dtls1.h ssl.h ssl_err.c]

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:50:52 +0200 (CEST)
Ken Smith wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Uhm, are you sure?  In the past, whenever a new RELENG
 > > branch was created, it was implicitly the next -stable
 > > branch, because -current moved on to the next version
 > > number.  Did that policy change?
 >
 > It is implicitly the *next* -stable but it's not there yet.  That's
 > what Simon was saying.
 >
 > FreeBSD's development (specifically the CVS repository) is public.
 > But the bottom line is that the RELENG_X branches are *development*
 > branches.

I'm well aware of that.  My question was only about naming
conventions.

People often talk about either "-current" and "-stable",
so was curious what RELENG_7 would be called right now.
Obviously it's not called "-current", but (according to
you and Simon) it's not called "-stable" either.

Actually the often used terms "-current" and "-stable"
are ambiguous and not really accurate.  E.g. someone
talks about "the -stable branch" and you have no idea
which one of the several RELENG_* ones he means.  It's
probably better to always use the CVS names or the
branch name (from sys/conf/newvers.sh).

 > No change in any policies or anything like that.  What I'm describing
 > has been the status quo for a long time but people tend to forget or
 > never quite "get it" or ... so I'm sure you're not the only one thinking
 > this way.

I'm not thinking that way.  :-)  I do know very well that
the -stable branches are development branches.  Although
in pre-4.0 days (when release branches didn't exist)
-stable had a slightly different meaning, but it has
really been a long time since then.

Best regards
   Oliver

 > Can the denizens of this group enlighten me about what the
 > advantages of Python are, versus Perl ?
"python" is more likely to pass unharmed through your spelling
checker than "perl".
        -- An unknown poster and Fredrik Lundh